Winter Sports Recap: EMS Basketball

Peter Staphos, Zachary Davis, and Garrett Escala

As the only EMS winter sport that features games against other schools, basketball is extremely important to EMS students. Unfortunately, the EMS basketball teams did not have winning seasons.  The boys A-team’s record was 0-12; the boys B-team was 4-5. The girls team had a record of 4-8.  The EMS basketball teams did not play as well as many hoped, but many fans and players believe that next season will be great.

For the boys team, all-star players from last year, like Noah Cha and Dylan Melisaratos, have moved on to high school, but the sixth graders Max Bogen, Peter Staphos, Alexander Cox, Ethan Hall, Yongmin Lee, Zachary Davis, and Devan Kapur were ready to fill the empty spots, and they showed a lot of promise. Overall, the sixth graders felt that this was a good first basketball season for them. Sixth grader Max Bogen commented, “We needed to get more rebounds, to be more aggressive, and to be hyped to win.” When asked about how the team played, Max answered, “I am a little disappointed in myself for not playing as well as I could have, and I needed to push myself for the team. But we needed to have fun too, this is not the NBA you know. Our coach was great and was really pushing the team to play our best.”

The girls team had just as much determination as the boys and played well in their games. The girls stepped up and pushed each other to play their best. When asked what the girls team needed to do to turn the season around, player Niki Eckert said, “We needed to shoot more, draw fouls, drive through the defense, and start winning.”

The EMS games were really intense, and sometimes the sixth graders faced challenging teams who had many eighth and ninth grade students, some of whom had a massive height advantage. The eighth graders who were valuable to the team this year are moving on to high school and had their last basketball season with EMS.  Although the EMS teams lost many games, the basketball season was competitive and fun for all students, players, and fans.

• Winter Sports Recap:  EMS Basketball

Showcase

Giants Off to Slow Start After a Killer Last Year

• Winter Sports Recap:  EMS Basketball

EMH Swaggy Shoes of the Week

Fidget Spinner’s Growing Popularity

• Winter Sports Recap:  EMS Basketball

News

Yale Graduate Student Teachers Go On Hunger Strike

• Winter Sports Recap:  EMS Basketball

Showcase

Penny Wars!

• Winter Sports Recap:  EMS Basketball

Showcase

YouTube’s Unfair changes

• Winter Sports Recap:  EMS Basketball

Arts & Entertainment

Siblings?

• Winter Sports Recap:  EMS Basketball

Checked

Homework Load Article

• Winter Sports Recap:  EMS Basketball

News

Neil Gorsuch

• Winter Sports Recap:  EMS Basketball

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Top 10 most expensive houses in the world

• Winter Sports Recap:  EMS Basketball

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Spirit Week

The Student News Site of The Elisabeth Morrow School
Winter Sports Recap: EMS Basketball