Fencing at EMS

Malachy Guzman, Reporter/Co-Editor

Recently, the sport of fencing was introduced as a winter sport at EMS. A fencer myself, this particularly excited me. Fencing is an relatively unknown sport among most of the EMS community. Most fencers do it as a sport, but there are those who do it as a martial art.

Within the sport, there are three different weapons, each having their own rules. The first is foil. The foil is lightest, thinnest, and shortest of the three swords. To score points in foil, you can only hit the chest, not including the arms or head. The only part of the sword you can hit with is the point. There is a button on the tip that registers hits. There are two main types of grip: French grip and pistol grip. The picture below is a pistol grip; French grip is straight.

The next weapon is the sabre, my preferred weapon. Derived from the cavalry sabre, the sword is intended more for slashing than for stabbing, although both are permitted. The valid target area includes everywhere above the waist, except the hands. Sabre is the fastest of the three swords. Points can be scored with the entire blade. Sabre is an uncontrolled, more moment-based weapon. The point of a sabre is the second fastest moving object in the olympics, behind a bullet and ahead of an arrow.

The last type of fencing is épeé, the heaviest and longest sword. Épeé is the slowest of the three styles, more focused on strategy and careful decision making. Like the foil, épeés have french or foil grip. The valid target area is the entire body, including the feet. You can only hit with the point, and it has a button like the foil.

Fencing as a winter sport at EMS is held at the Englewood Field club after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. EMS hired experts from Gutkovskiy Fencing Academy to instruct EMS students. Most people who joined had never fenced before. I’m looking forward to another potential addition in the spring.

• Fencing at EMS

Showcase

Giants Off to Slow Start After a Killer Last Year

• Fencing at EMS

EMH Swaggy Shoes of the Week

Fidget Spinner’s Growing Popularity

• Fencing at EMS

News

Yale Graduate Student Teachers Go On Hunger Strike

• Fencing at EMS

Showcase

Penny Wars!

• Fencing at EMS

Showcase

YouTube’s Unfair changes

• Fencing at EMS

Arts & Entertainment

Siblings?

• Fencing at EMS

Checked

Homework Load Article

• Fencing at EMS

News

Neil Gorsuch

• Fencing at EMS

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Top 10 most expensive houses in the world

• Fencing at EMS

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Spirit Week

The Student News Site of The Elisabeth Morrow School
Fencing at EMS