“All Joking Aside, Here’s How Sean Spicer Is Shaking Up the White House Briefing”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kate Reily, Reporter

(Summary of the New York Times Article of the same name

Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, has ended some press conference traditions. At the briefings prior to Trump’s presidency, reporters at press conferences had an assigned seating arrangement, organized by the White House Correspondents’ Association. The idea of assigned seats was put in place to avoid the appearance of favoritism. Despite the previous press conference traditions, Sean Spicer decided to switch it up. The past few briefings were less organized, and more chaotic. They have all been packed with reporters who lacked assigned seats. Because of Spicer’s rash decision-making, press conferences have been overcrowded with eager reporters standing throughout the aisles and sitting in random seats.

Sean Spicer takes a unique approach to press conferences. He usually calls on non-mainstream news media organizations before calling on the more traditional news outlets. Spicer believes that the mainstream media does not capture all issues, and he thinks all problems deserve equal prominence. Mr. Spicer also calls on non-mainstream news outlets that might be more critical of Trump and his administration. In addition, he likes to reach out to international outlets. “Saturday Night Live” has reflected on Spicer’s press conference techniques in a comedic manner. Melissa McCarthy, an american, female comedian, dressed up as Mr. Spicer and imitated the way he acts in press conferences. America found this impression as a funny act, but Sean Spicer’s actions are dramatically affecting the White House, and its press conferences.  

Kate Reilly

• “All Joking Aside, Here’s How Sean Spicer Is Shaking Up the White House Briefing”

Showcase

Giants Off to Slow Start After a Killer Last Year

EMH Swaggy Shoes of the Week

Fidget Spinner’s Growing Popularity

News

Yale Graduate Student Teachers Go On Hunger Strike

Showcase

Penny Wars!

Showcase

YouTube’s Unfair changes

Arts & Entertainment

Siblings?

Checked

Homework Load Article

News

Neil Gorsuch

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Top 10 most expensive houses in the world

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Spirit Week

The Student News Site of The Elisabeth Morrow School