Neil Gorsuch

Judge Neil Gorsuch (C) and his wife Marie Louise look on, after US President Donald Trump nominated him for the Supreme Court, at the White House in Washington, DC, on January 31, 2017.

President Donald Trump nominated federal appellate judge Neil Gorsuch as his Supreme Court nominee, tilting the balance of the court back in the conservatives' favor. / AFP PHOTO / Brendan SMIALOWSKIBRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/Getty Images

Judge Neil Gorsuch (C) and his wife Marie Louise look on, after US President Donald Trump nominated him for the Supreme Court, at the White House in Washington, DC, on January 31, 2017. President Donald Trump nominated federal appellate judge Neil Gorsuch as his Supreme Court nominee, tilting the balance of the court back in the conservatives' favor. / AFP PHOTO / Brendan SMIALOWSKIBRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/Getty Images

AFP/Getty Images

AFP/Getty Images

Ben Garger, Reporter

Neil Gorsuch is causing a ruckus in the senate. When Justice Antonin Scalia died, President Donald Trump wished to fill the gap in the Supreme Court with Justice Neil Gorsuch of Denver, Colorado.

Neil Gorsuch is the son of David and Anne Gorsuch. Anne was appointed by Ronald Reagan as the first female administrator of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA.)

Since democratic senators make up more than one third of the senate, the republicans are going to try the “nuclear option” and change the rules of the senate to the method “majority rules”. Democrats are attempting the“filibuster” in hopes of delaying the decision. In response, the republicans have changed senate rules, by saying that even if 51% of votes were in favor of a person, they would still win. This law has been in place for the entirety of senate history. This change will rattle the country and future appointments from both sides while it could be much more simple.

Democrat’s justification:

The republicans refused to even think about discussing former President’s Barack Obama’s nomination for supreme court, Merrick Garland. According to democrats, he leans to much to the right, when he should be indifferent.

Interviews:

Q:What do you think of Neil Gorsuch?

Answers:

William Helm: I think that the program is pretty good, but I feel like it’s biased.

Chris Couri: The democrats are still not over the election, they wanna be troublesome.

Ben (Esser) :  I think he seems good, but the democrats seem shaken, he also must have some experience.

Max Baly : He’s a bad choice.

Jaden: I don’t think this nomination is fair. Senate rules are being changed for the sake of one guy.

Katherine: I think it’s not fair because the senate rules have been changed for one man.

Aidan: I think that Gorsuch isn’t the best option. Trump could do better in his choices.

Anonymous: He doesn’t really affect my daily routine.

Kiba: I think I want to see what he’s like first.

Aristotelis: I think he’s a reasonable choice. I know he was selected as supreme court justice, I know he was on top of Trump’s list for justices.

Eli: Personally I don’t think it’s unfair he’s nominated. The democrats have done this too, with Harry Reid. And previous presidents have changed the Supreme Court to their appeal.

Special interview with George Conway.

Ben: What do you think about Neil Gorsuch?

George: I think he’s a good choice, he’s experienced, I think he’ll fight fairly for the values of America and follow the constitution.

Ben: What about the filibuster?

George: They declined it because they didn’t want a conservative to pass. They also found it unfair that Merrick Garland was not in the Supreme Court. They believe Garland had an unfair hearing.

Ben: What about Merrick Garland?

George: I think Neil Gorsuch was a much better pick and that it was fair that the republicans obstructed Garland.

• Neil Gorsuch

Showcase

Giants Off to Slow Start After a Killer Last Year

• Neil Gorsuch

EMH Swaggy Shoes of the Week

Fidget Spinner’s Growing Popularity

• Neil Gorsuch

News

Yale Graduate Student Teachers Go On Hunger Strike

• Neil Gorsuch

Showcase

Penny Wars!

• Neil Gorsuch

Showcase

YouTube’s Unfair changes

• Neil Gorsuch

Arts & Entertainment

Siblings?

• Neil Gorsuch

Checked

Homework Load Article

• Neil Gorsuch

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Top 10 most expensive houses in the world

• Neil Gorsuch

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Spirit Week

• Neil Gorsuch

Showcase

5 Fun Facts and 2 Busted Myths About Thanksgiving

The Student News Site of The Elisabeth Morrow School
Neil Gorsuch