Into the Woods: A “Magical” Performance

The Morrow House production of Into the Woods on March 16 and 17, is recognized as the most elaborate and successful EMS play yet. The Drama teacher, Mr. Diaz, applauds the cast-members, praising their dedication and hard work. Into the Woods is a complicated play; there are many separate characters and stories that intertwine to form one complicated plot. All the interviewed cast-members expressed that the play was fun, but hard to pull together. Mikayla Benson, the witch, expressed that their performance was simply, “Fabulous.” Vivien Sheridan jokingly said, “I was obviously the best in the play and probably deserve an award. People will still talk about my performance when I’m old.” Elaine “The Tree” Smith said, “The play was fun, well organized and well choreographed. It was hard work, but there was a lot of good feedback. It was a good balance of seriousness and comedy.”

As well-reviewed as the production was, some of the actors were unhappy with the casting choices. Ina Musabegovic remarked, “The play was fun, but I think there was type casting. There was no opposite gender casting, and actors looked like their parts.” Cassie Skinner added that there was a bit of type casting, but it was not as terrible as Ina described. “The eighth grade priority was understandable. Definitely not as bad of type casting as last year.” Melisa Nehrozoglu agreed, “Yes, actors did often look like characters, but it was necessary to have them connect with their parts.”

Overall, the EMS community enjoyed the play and the cast was very pleased with their performance. All cast-members agree that it was an enjoyable experience and they liked working with each other throughout the entire process. Everyone is excited to see what the talented students of EMS will do next!

The Student News Site of The Elisabeth Morrow School
Into the Woods: A “Magical” Performance