Homework Load Article

Zoe Kapur, Reporter

I polled students on the questions, “In what subject do you receive the most homework?”, “On average, how much time do you spend on homework?” and “Do Extra Help and Study Hall periods help you wil completing your homework?” I tallied the responses based on what grade the person was in. In the 8th grade, the average student spends about 3 hours on homework a night, with the most amount of homework coming from History class. In the 7th grade, the average student spends about 2.5 hours on homework a night, with the most amount of homework again, coming from History. In the 6th grade, the average student spends about 2 hours on homework a night, with the most amount of homework coming from English. Finally, in 5th grade, the average student spends about 1 hour on homework a night, with the most amount of homework coming from English and Homeroom.

According to the National Education Association, the average 8th grader should spend 7 hours on homework a week, a 7th grader 6 hours a week, a 6th grader 5 hours a week and a 5th grader 4 hours a week. According to my research, the average EMS 8th grader spends 15 hours on homework a week, the EMS 7th grader 12.5 hours a week, EMS 6th grader 10 hours a week and the EMS 5th grader 5 hours a week. EMS 7th and 8th graders spend more than double the recommended amount of time on homework. As for the question about whether or not Extra Help and Study Hall periods help students finish their homework, I found that in all grade about half of the students believe that these periods do help them finish their homework while the other half think that only on some occasions do they get work done in Extra Help or Study Hall.

• Homework Load Article

News

Relics of Narcissism and Narcotics Cease in Panama

• Homework Load Article

EMH Swaggy Shoes of the Week

Fidget Spinner’s Growing Popularity

• Homework Load Article

News

New York City Drunk Driver

• Homework Load Article

News

Yale Graduate Student Teachers Go On Hunger Strike

• Homework Load Article

Showcase

Penny Wars!

• Homework Load Article

Showcase

YouTube’s Unfair changes

• Homework Load Article

Arts & Entertainment

Siblings?

• Homework Load Article

News

Neil Gorsuch

• Homework Load Article

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Top 10 most expensive houses in the world

• Homework Load Article

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Spirit Week

The Student News Site of The Elisabeth Morrow School
Homework Load Article