YouTube’s Unfair changes

Natalie Aburustum, Reporter

YouTube’s Unfair Changes

In the past year or so, YouTube has been going through near constant changes affecting many people who, prior to these changes, made YouTube videos as their sole source of income.

Some of the changes include restricting content allowed in videos. YouTube videos now must be age-restricted if they show, or even discuss any type of violence, murder, terrorism, or even swearing. At face value this does not seem to be much of a problem; it makes sense to have age restrictions on videos that may not be appropriate for children. However, having videos age restricted also narrows the viewing audience, getting the video fewer views and overall making it so content creators make less money. YouTube has also been de-monetizing videos that aren’t age restricted and involve cursing, making it so the creators are unable to make money off of previously uploaded videos.

More recently, however, YouTube has made another change to their system, one that is equally as unfair to large creators, and completely crushing for smaller channels with fewer views per video. YouTube recently made it so that content creators do not make money off of a video until the channel has reached 10,000 views in total. Once again, although this may seem to make sense at first glance, it is easy to see how crushing this can be for a smaller channel. A creator is estimated to make about $7.60 for every 1000 views a video gets, and that’s assuming an ad plays every time the video is watched.  This means that because the creator is not getting paid until the channel had reached 10,000 views, they are being denied $76 from videos they have created.

Although these changes in YouTube are questionable, especially considering YouTube also makes money from these ads and thus will make less money because of these changes, most creators highly doubt they will be able to convince YouTube to go back on their decisions and hope for the best for all creators.

• YouTube’s Unfair changes

News

Relics of Narcissism and Narcotics Cease in Panama

• YouTube’s Unfair changes

EMH Swaggy Shoes of the Week

Fidget Spinner’s Growing Popularity

• YouTube’s Unfair changes

News

New York City Drunk Driver

• YouTube’s Unfair changes

News

Yale Graduate Student Teachers Go On Hunger Strike

• YouTube’s Unfair changes

Showcase

Penny Wars!

• YouTube’s Unfair changes

Arts & Entertainment

Siblings?

• YouTube’s Unfair changes

Checked

Homework Load Article

• YouTube’s Unfair changes

News

Neil Gorsuch

• YouTube’s Unfair changes

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Top 10 most expensive houses in the world

• YouTube’s Unfair changes

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Spirit Week

The Student News Site of The Elisabeth Morrow School
YouTube’s Unfair changes