Top 5 Controversial In-School Trends

MostSatisfying

Joséphine Helm, Editor

Slime has become increasingly more popular over the past year. Many students enjoy playing with, making, and selling slime. It is a great way to make money and is satisfying and squishy. However, it was banned in January because it was deemed a distraction. Additionally, soliciting business at school is not permitted.

Fidget Spinners are a spinney toy that are said to relieve stress and anxiety. While they are advertised to help people with ADHD, autism, and anxiety, in recent months they have become increasingly popular among students between the ages of about 8 to 15. Despite the positive attention they have received, fidget spinners can actually serve as a distraction to other students and teachers because they make a whirring noise, have bright colors, and spin very quickly.

Fidget cubes are large dices with different stress-relieving tools on each side. One side has a button which resembles that on video game controls. Another side has five smaller buttons. Yet another is flat so it can be placed on an even surface. Another is a switch, like one used to turn a light on and off. The next side has three small gears and metal spinney ball to play with. Finally, the last side has a flat disc attached that can be rotated. Teachers usually prefer these cubes to the larger and louder fidget spinners; however, the cubes can still make clicking noises that distract some people.

Gum is the only one of the trends listed that is not relatively new. It has been around for over 150 years, but is one of few fads that has not faded away yet. It has been banned from school for a long time, but students continue to disregard the rules and chew it anyway. It is said to improve concentration.

Bottle flipping is an in-school and out-of-school trend where kids flip water bottles and try to make them land on the bottom or on the cap. It can become a competition and is often recorded and promoted on social media. What makes it a highly accessible and popular trend is that all that is required is a plastic water bottle of some type.

Here are some peoples’ opinions about these trends:

1. MR. ALLEN: I have no problem with gum-chewing, but what I don’t like is some students’ disregard for the rules. I have no problem with fidget spinners. Slime is harmless, but don’t like kids selling it at school. School is not a marketplace for homemade goo.
  2. ANONYMOUS: I don’t like gum at all. I don’t mind bottle flipping, but it gets a bit annoying after a long time of constant flipping. I don’t mind slime because of scientific connections related to improved focus. I don’t mind fidget spinners or fidget cubes as long as they do not get in the way of concentration during class.
  3. JULIA LEVIN: Gum is good and helpful when you are trying to think. It helps you concentrate, but I do understand why the rule is up. People can be disrespectful when it comes to disposing the gum, and chewing it loudly is annoying.

Students’ overall ranking (from favorite to least favorite) of these trends are as follows:

1. Gum
  2. Slime
  3. Cubes
  4. Bottle Flipping
  5. Spinners

The Student News Site of The Elisabeth Morrow School
Top 5 Controversial In-School Trends