The Rotating Hotel in Dubai

William Helm

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past 20 years, you have probably heard of the city-state, Dubai. Dubai is home to many landmarks including the Burj Khalifa, the world’s largest shopping mall, and the seven star hotel, but what you don’t know is that it will be the home to one more.  Back in the year 2008, architect David Fisher pitched his idea for a new skyscraper, but his idea was shut down for it being to unrealistic, but as of January, 2017 he pitched it again to a new firm, Dynamic Architecture, known for its creative and innovative buildings.

What is this new building you may ask, well prepared for your mind to be blown.  Fisher has designed a hotel in Dubai that has 80 unique floors, and each one rotates 360° in all directions by command. This building will be called The Dynamic Tower. There will not just be rotating floors, but also a voice activation system that lets you see the Dubai skyline by command.  Each visitor will rent out his/her own floor while staying, and so they get complete privacy.  There will be an elevator in the central shaft of the building that enters right into your living room, and a second elevator to bring your car up to your floor’s level.  If everything goes to plan, then The Dynamic Tower will be one of the tallest buildings in Dubai, standing at 1,273 feet.

Now you might be thinking, “This building sounds cool in all, but with floors that rotate, wouldn’t you need a lot of electricity?  That would be wasting a ton of oil for fuel!”  Well David Fisher has already addressed this issue.  There will be wind turbines underneath all 80 floors, as well as several solar panels on the roof of the building, and some of the walls.  This would help the building fuel itself without wasting energy and oil.

Fisher’s got his inspiration for this unique building while visiting  the Olympic Tower in New York City.  He said, I noticed that from a certain spot you could see the East River and the Hudson River, both sides of Manhattan. That is when I thought to myself: ‘Why don’t we rotate the entire floor? That way, everybody can see both the East River and the Hudson River, as well as Saint Patrick’s Cathedral!’”  This project is estimated to be finished in the year 2020.

The Student News Site of The Elisabeth Morrow School
The Rotating Hotel in Dubai