2017 (in the US (at least)) in a Nutshell

By Itamar Amsalem

Ah 2017. The fidgety, eclipsey, yet costly. When people couldn’t stop saying the iconic phrase, “Sit Down! Be humble!” When something that spins addicted us and almost controlled our minds. 2017 was an awesome year for me and probably for you. In this article, I will be telling about the things 2017 had that other years didn’t. So sit back, get some popcorn and enjoy!

Trends

When I say “2017 trends,” what comes to your mind? Bottle flipping? Dabbing? All of those were 2016’s popular craves, and don’t get me wrong, but the memesters of 2017 really one-upped their predecessors. The genius who invented the Fidget Spinner probably are bathing. In. Gold. It had over 100,000 Google searches monthly in May, its peak month. Second to the toy is Slime. Slime was EVERYWHERE on the internet, having a little over 100,000 searches monthly again in May and June.

Events

August 21, 2017. The Sun was blocked by the moon in a once in a lifetime experience. The 2017 Solar Eclipse reached over 100,000 searches on August 20, 2017, a ginormous amount for 1 DAY. But that is nothing compared to the number 1 most searched topic in the WORLD; Hurricane Irma. Like I said a couple seconds ago, this was the #1 most searched topic in the world this year.

Consumer Tech

Let’s face it, by the end of the year, products completely outshined (or eclipsed, “hee hee,”) the events and trends. (In order,) iPhone 8, iPhone X, Nintendo Switch, Samsung Galaxy S8, and Xbox One X are the top 5. Since they wisely came out in the winter, many people are buying them for Hanukkah or Christmas gifts. Since arguably every kid these days likes or wants a new phone or computer, these companies are making a surprising amount of money.

Music

Music this year was absolutely great. Hit songs like (not in order) Despacito, Havana, Look What You Made Me Do and Shape of You all were on the radio at least a hundred zillion times. But most famously, is HUMBLE. by Kendrick Lamar. As you probably know this is where the phrase I talked about in the beginning, “Sit Down! Be humble!” comes from. And do not every forget the song “It’s Everyday Bro” by the one and only Jake Paul which caused HUGE controversy.

Conclusion

In the end, 2017 was an AMAZING year. There was great music, funny trends, awesome events, and super tech. Although 2018 is obviously gonna be so much better, 2017 was definitely a year to remember and there’s no doubt about that.

• 2017 (in the US (at least)) in a Nutshell

Showcase

Giants Off to Slow Start After a Killer Last Year

EMH Swaggy Shoes of the Week

Fidget Spinner’s Growing Popularity

News

Yale Graduate Student Teachers Go On Hunger Strike

Showcase

Penny Wars!

Showcase

YouTube’s Unfair changes

Arts & Entertainment

Siblings?

Checked

Homework Load Article

News

Neil Gorsuch

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Top 10 most expensive houses in the world

EMS SWAGGY SHOES OF THE WEEK

Spirit Week

The Student News Site of The Elisabeth Morrow School