Fly Eagles Fly!

Benjamin Lefkowitz

Yesterday, all the Philadelphia Eagle fans had a day to remember. On Sunday, February 4, 2018, the Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl against the New England Patriots 41-33  for the first time in franchise history. On Thursday, February 8, 2018, hundreds of thousands of fans gathered in Philadelphia to celebrate the Eagles’ victory. Some fans even from New Jersey walked the two mile long Benjamin Franklin Bridge to get to the parade. In addition, players from the Eagles went on the five mile parade route on a double decker bus. They started near Lincoln Financial Field, and ended at the iconic Art Museum also known  as the ‘’Rocky Steps’’. The owner of the Eagles, Jeffrey Lurie, was next to starting QB Carson Wentz, Super Bowl MVP, Nick Foles, and the third string QB, Nate Sudfeld. Nick Foles hoisted the Vince Lombardi Trophy high in the air. Also, the Eagle’s coach, Doug Peterson, lifted the trophy, and other Eagles players threw t-shirts to the crowd. Organizers estimated two million people would jam the parade route. The brisk temperature in the parade was in the low 20’s. Fans camped out in tents, cars, and office buildings to secure a good spot to see the champs riding down Broad Street and City Hall. In addition, Broad Street, the main street through Lincoln Financial Field,  was clogged with fans four hours before the parade. Eagles fan, John Thompson, said, ‘’We were wondering if we would see the Eagles win a Super Bowl in our lifetime, and we may not see another one. That’s why we are here today’’. Many Eagles players dressed their finest for the parade. Defensive end, Chris Long, wore a full length faux fur coat over an Allen Iverson 76ers jersey. Center, Jason Kelce, was in a full Mummers regalia, representing a Aladdin costume. Also, schools, museums, government officials, and even the Philadelphia Zoo were shut down, so the city could celebrate the underdogs. Fans from the Eagles wore dog masks to resemble the Eagles for being the underdogs throughout the whole playoffs. Critics thought the Eagles were going to be the underdogs because their starting quarterback, Carson Wentz, tore his ACL making backup, Nick Foles, replace him. Critics thought Nick Foles would not get the job done, but he did. Trains were jammed getting to Philadelphia for the parade. In conclusion, some Eagles fans behaved badly after they won the Super Bowl, but at the end they still waited a long time for the Eagles to win, and deserved a great parade. Fly Eagles Fly!

The Student News Site of The Elisabeth Morrow School
Fly Eagles Fly!